A Week With Cobalt

8 replies to this topic

#1 Sacheverell

Silver-Penned Admin

• Content Writer
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:51 PM

I've spent the last few weeks delving into Cobalt in detail, and there are some things about the game that never lose their charm. Things like:

Epic Slow-Motion

This is probably the first thing that really hooked me - we've all seen slow-motion mechanics in games - first-person shooters especially - but Cobalt is the first time I've seen it implemented well in a platformer game. There's something endearing about doing a flying roll through a slow-motion field of bullets, spraying return fire in a wheel of lead-laden destruction. Still, it is less of a gimmick and more of a survival mechanism; it's fair to assume that an awesome robot would have killer reflexes and enhanced perceptions, and the enemies one faces often have the same - it's a leveling of the playing field.

It also makes for killer videos.

Awesome Mechanics

One thing that ties well into the whole "slow-motion" system is the mechanics of combat. Not just the rolling, jumping, flying aspects of it, but the raw physics - the ability to pinball up the sides of walls, carefully aiming shots mid-roll cannot be underestimated. In many ways it is a skill that requires mastering, since the environment is just as crucial as one's reflexes. In this case, "environment" includes your enemies (or friends), since a well-timed body-ricochet off of an enemy can mean the difference between an awesome kill and a spectacular death.

This only gets better with other players involved - the mix of rage and laughs is an addictive one.

What are some of your best "wow" moments in the game? A particularly good kill, an awesome camping spot, anything at all - tell us about it!

#2 lukesterh

Space Captain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:58 PM

Epic slow motion is epic :D

Srsly, the slow motion is awesome, loving the game!

#3 Cobalteer

Space Captain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:03 PM

Agreed. The Slow-Motion makes the game what it is. I love rolling. I could roll for dayz. And porkchops.

[Insert Witty Signature Here]

#4 Trance

Trance Lover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:55 PM

Being able to stand still in front of an enemy without firing a shot and as soon as he shoots his bullet at me, I roll in the opposite direction, leaving him exploding into pieces.
Posted Image

#5 darkozzyman

Space Captain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationUnder your bed

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:57 PM

Man, every time I go in slo mo I think "MATRIX"

#6 JWJ

Space Captain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationInterwebs

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:02 AM

Slow motion is probably my favorite feature too, there's just nothing more fun than getting locked into a 10-second dogfight falling from the top of a level dodging various grenades and bullets being shot, until finally one makes its mark and both you and your friend know they are doomed, with the bullet slowly inching towards them and your game-ego slowly reaching critical mass.
Hi there! I'm Jake/Jacob Jervey/JWJ from Oxeye. I'm the guy who's working on the online multiplayer for Cobalt and I also help with a variety of other things like running our GetSatisfaction and fixing bugs here and there. You can follow me @jjervey or find me on our IRC at #cobalt irc.esper.net.

#7 Trance

Trance Lover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:49 AM

You should write content too. Haha. 10 Seconds? More like whole minutes of dodging bullets and deadly grenades.

[quote name='JWJ' timestamp='1324522932' post='7014']
Slow motion is probably my favorite feature too, there's just nothing more fun than getting locked into a 10-second dogfight falling from the top of a level dodging various grenades and bullets being shot, until finally one makes its mark and both you and your friend know they are doomed, with the bullet slowly inching towards them and your game-ego slowly reaching critical mass.
[/quote]
Posted Image

#8 RaizinMonk

Space Captain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:44 PM

Yes, the slow motion. Due to it I experienced some of my most awesome and ecstatic gaming moments ever playing deathmatch alone in Space Zone against 4 to 6 bots.

Countless moments of throwing a stick grenade at one opponent, and running away while the grenade just barely misses your opponent, instead taking out the other bot behind his back, all in awesome slow motion. And above all rolling and careful jumping through a slomo barrage of bullets and grenades, skillfully taking your opponents out one by one with phaser rolls.

It's too epic for words... ( TT^TT)

It's also how my love for phaser + shield belt was born. :)

#9 Nameisnotname

O Captain, My Captain!

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 1176 posts
  • LocationLurking

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:54 PM

Just the whole range of things slow-mo brings upon you, like the whole: Running through the level, some guy tosses a grenade at you, so slow-mo. First reaction: "OH CRAP! That's a grenade! Sloooooooooooow mooooooooooo rooooollllll!" And then you shoot the grenade back in his face mid roll. Instant awesome!
My Music! | My Maps! | Awake for more hours than usual.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users